Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Phase Two: Rejoining the Real World

  I'm 13 days out from surgery and a lot has changed!
* Stitches came out yesterday! It was an interesting feeling... but the pain doesn't last. I'm still in my huge brace, with an ace bandage wrapped lightly, mainly to prevent friction. The bandages were pretty gnarly!

Bandages coming off, and it's free!

* I started Physical Therapy (PT). I can only do quad sets and heel slides for now, and the rest is manual. My PT, Lindsay, forces my knee to bend and straighten so we can get that range of motion back. I'm only bending 50 degrees, which means there's a lot to improve upon.
*I can shower! I'm a little unsteady but I take it slow, and hold onto my handy pre-installed by my houses former owners, handrail. My skin had a slight rash after all the bandages came off, but it's clearing up quickly and I control any itchiness with benadryl.

Stitches are out!
* I'm allowed to sleep without the big brace, which means I can slightly bend my knee. This is wonderful.
*I can drive a car! It's a struggle and I drive like a gangster, but I'm going places... mainly just school and PT.
*I can walk, a little bit. I move at snail pace, but it's much more energy efficient than keeping my left leg up the entire time. Especially at Towson, where I do a lot of crutching.

    Overall, things are looking up. I'm learning how to be crippled with a bit of independence but when people offer help, I take it. There's not much pain, unless I move it funny on accident but a lot of the skin around my knee is numb, similar to how your face feels after novacaine. The swelling isn't too bad, and once the steri-strips fall off on their own, I can start doing damage control on the scar with neosporin once a day. I have PT twice a week for now, and I'm doing a few things at home too to help speed it up without overdoing it. I'll keep you all posted as I continue to see improvements and accomplish new things!
Normal knee. Monster knee.

No comments:

Post a Comment