Wednesday, February 4, 2015

11 Weeks Post-Op

   Just a heads up; the knee has become it's own entity. It runs the life. So don't be surprised if I refer to it in the 3rd person!
   We have a few new things that have happened since my last blog. My flexion is now to 103 degrees, painfully. BUT I can get to 95 degrees myself. Extension is only lacking about 3 degrees. As of right now, I don't have to go back under for manual cranking and manipulation. I may have to get scar tissue scoped in 3 more months, but that's still up in the air. Physical therapy has gotten slightly better. The bending still hurts, I still scream but I stopped crying through it! I also get to do a few more exercises which I am always happy for! I'm still icing and using compression, and doing daily stretches but I went ahead and made this crazy decision to move across the country last week! My cousin and I drove 1,700 miles to Colorado!
   While PT is on standby since I was getting here, and then had to acquire new insurance and doctor appointments, I have been vigilant about at least stretching. I was kinesiotaped before I left to give me a little extra help too! The kinesiotape helped "wake up" my quads to remind them to fully extend. Don't mind all the bruising- we also started foam rolling and using pressure point rolling therapy. Hurts so good!


The kinesiotape stayed on for quite a while too! Ask your physical therapist if they think it could help you too.
   Today was the first day in 6 days that I was back on the bike, and it felt good. I don't think I've lost any range of motion, but I'm interested to get a second opinion on how my recovery is going. I love my original doctors, but they just weren't willing to make this move with me. I'm looking into trying new things (Dry Needling and Acupuncture) and am remaining hopeful that I'll have a full recovery soon!

Thanks to my 3rd flood apartment, I do a lot more stairs and can even start to get down the stairs like an adult! I have to hold on to the rails and I'm going slow, but I'm getting places!
I can touch my foot! Stretchhhhh!


1 comment:

  1. I've been reading your blog posts all afternoon, and I cannot thank you enough for sharing your progress! I tore my left ACL and MCL back in mid-December, and I had my ACL reconstructed (using a partial tendon from my hamstring) on February 6th. Before my surgery I was struggling to find information online from people that had gone through it, and it's easy to feel a bit lost and alone with it all- even more so now when wondering about the pace of your own progress after reconstruction. Its so comforting to see someone in a similar boat, and I hope that your recovery continues to get easier and easier!

    ReplyDelete