Tuesday, March 3, 2015

2 weeks until surgery #2!

   Some people heal miraculously, some do not. I had a great surgeon, a great physical therapy team, and I used all my sports medicine knowledge to rehab myself too. I was the perfect patient! I moved to Denver and started dry needling to be more aggressive towards the scar tissue.
Dry needling with stim to activate my VMO: 

 It helped, but not quite enough. My new surgeon out here has decided I need another surgery to manually manipulate my knee into flexion and take out some scar tissue. 
   I'm nervous but also hoping this 2nd surgery does me good. I have a lot of stiffness in my knee, especially in the morning. I hobble around until it wakes up! I only have 104 degrees of flexion and I'm still 3 degrees in extension, which is enough to affect your gait. So I walk with a limp some days. NOT HOT FOR A 26 YEAR OLD! 
    I still cannot run and I'm almost 15 weeks out. I should be much better than I am, but I'm not and its frustrating beyond belief but I keep on keeping on! 
I go to the gym everyday to ride the bike and I can do the elliptical now also. I've gotten back into yoga, I modify many poses but it gives me a sense of accomplishment. I foam roll, I stretch, I yell through physical therapy.

Doing yoga last week. Yes this was hard, but putting my life on hold wasn't working for me. I had to at least try, and I succeeded! Yoga has helped my knee quite a bit actually! 

   Every body is different, so take your recovery at your pace, research, get opinions! No slacking! If you have questions or concerns bring them up and get answers. Take your health into your own hands. 

No comments:

Post a Comment