Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Days 5 & 6... Sleep Happens

   So there hasn't been much change pain or comfort wise. I still have a cankle despite keeping my leg elevated and iced regularly. The pain in worst when I stand, I feel like the stitches are being pulled funny. Yesterday, day 5, I slept most of the day. Rest is necessary to let the body heal. Rest, water, and healthy foods. I'm closer to doing a leg raise, and I can get in and out of bed a little bit easier.
   Today was actually a little exciting-- I got to take a bath! I still can't take the bandages off so I had to keep my left leg out of the tub but after a week without showering, it was amazing. For me to bathe though, I had to walk like someone from an exorcist movie up the stairs. By walk, I mean crawl up backwards. Yay for arm muscles! Luckily for me though my shower and tub have a handicap bar installed and a removable shower head so once I was up there and in, it wasn't that bad, and was most definitely worth it. I also got to leave the house today-- for a dentist appointment. Although, after major surgery, getting a filling is nothing.
   Since I'm over the hardest of the painful parts, I've been weaning myself off of my pain meds. While they aren't extremely strong, they are still a narcotic and can be addictive. I've had slight nausea because of this, and because my body isn't used to having so many medications in it regardless, but nothing some saltines and sleep can't help. Like I've said before, everyone is different, but if pain control ever becomes a problem you should always call your surgeon. I'm done with my prescription anti-inflammatory meds but am still taking lower dose ibuprofen to help with pain and swelling.
   Other than my little afternoon adventure, the rest of my day was much like all the others. I had a friend come visit and binge watch Sons of Anarchy with me. It's always nice to have visitors, it can get quite boring just being in bed all day by yourself.
   I keep waking up, hoping I'll feel better and getting bummed by feeling the same. Unfortunately this recovery is a long one. While I can't wait to get these bandages and stitches out, I know physical therapy won't be a walk in the park. I have a long road of discomfort and frustration ahead of me but I just try to remain optimistic and tell myself that because I got this surgery, I will be able to do the things I love again. I'll be able to run and squat and lunge and jump without worry of my knee giving out, and possibly taking my meniscus with it. Hell, I'll be able to go out and wear heels and dance without falling before I'm even tipsy! I've been fortunate to have a great support system on the standby to take care of me, so I know I'll get through this all. I'm not looking forward to the scars I'll have, but it'll just be another battle wound. Another badge of honor to remind me of the things I've overcome thus far.

No comments:

Post a Comment