Thursday, November 20, 2014

Surgery and Recovery: Day 1

   For any who may not know, I shredded my ACL on the 4th of July. My best friend tried to ride me like a pony! No, I don't hate her one bit, it was just one of those freak accidents that you deal with. Anyways, when I was researching ACL surgery and recovery, I wanted to read more blogs and real life accounts than doctor notes, I wanted the real life story. I only found around 3; 1 for a child, 2 for adults who were not athletes/athletic. Because I'm in great shape, and muscular, I've been told by my entire team of doctors my recovery will go great so I decided to write about it, in case someone needed the first person account! Plus I'm confined to bed, so why not write?! Please keep in mind though, I am slightly doped up on pain meds and lingering sedatives and anesthesia so try not to hate on me too hard if I make grammatical errors!
The legs before surgery!

   Surgery was scheduled bright and early, we all got up around 430am to leave by 5am. I went to the White Marsh Ambulatory Surgery Center in Baltimore, MD and they were AMAZING! The entire staff is very warm and comforting, they made me feel very at ease. They took their time to explain everything, make sure I was comfortable using crutches, and answered any questions. As a girl who is hopeful for a career in sports medicine, I know a lot about the body, but I also had a lot of questions, which they answered. I went back around 730am, and after a few jokes about tequila, I was out. Yes, I was cracking jokes before being cut open. Obviously I can't tell you how the surgery part went, but I was told I was great, a real champ, and everything went without a hitch.
   I woke up around 10am, and staying awake was a real struggle. I didn't fight very hard. I didn't have to stay in recovery long, they gave me some pain meds, popped me in a wheelchair, and sent me on my way home. I slept through most of the drive home. Getting inside was hardest. I was good on the crutches, but I was also very dizzy. Once I got inside, I got right into bed and went right back to sleep. This is really exciting to read, I know. For around 7 hours I was in and out of sleep.
   I've kept my leg elevated, with a cryocuff on it (a machine that wraps around your knee and pumps freezing water into the cuff for all over cold). I had a femoral nerve block but it didn't seem to effect me as much as I expected. I can feel minor discomfort in the front of my knee, where they harvested my patellar tendon. I didn't want to go with a cadaver, It's a bit of a pressure, and a constant dull throb but I'm staying on top of it with prescription pain meds. Very important! I pretty much stay in bed unless I need to use the restroom, which I can crutch myself to. No weight bearing allowed for 24-36 hours, and then it's already as tolerated so Mom is waiting on me hand and foot! No complaints there!


And here is my leg after surgery! The brace is huge, and I have the cryocuff on underneath. The stitches are wrapped up, and then an ace bandage over that. This stays on until December 1st!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment